Christchurch is the South Island’s largest city. It’s a vibrant, cosmopolitan place with exciting festivals, theatre, modern art galleries, great shopping and award-winning attractions. Known as the ‘Garden City’, Christchurch has many beautiful parks and gardens throughout the city.
Christchurch has a population of just under 360,000.
Get Close to Nature
- Stroll through and admire our beautiful Botanical Gardens
- Enjoy the wide open spaces of our expansive Hagley Park
- Visit picturesque Mona Vale and it’s five hectares of immaculate gardens
- Go punting on the Avon River
- Experience snow, ice, Blue Penguins and the exhilarating Hagglund ride at the International Antartic Centre
Take a Day Trip
There is something different to see and do within one or two hours drive of Christchurch, in any direction.
- Akaroa and Banks Peninsula – Visit the picturesque harbourside French Settlement, swim with endangered Hectors Dolphins and visit the dramatic outer Bays
- Hanmer Springs – soak in the world famous hot springs, enjoy walking tracks or for the adventurous jet boat rides and bungy
- Discover stunning Kaikoura’s wild coast, seals, sperm whales & more
- Travel to the West Coast on the Trans Alpine train – rated one of the world’s greatest scenic railway journeys
- Ski fields – 120 minutes
- Not to mention world class fishing, whitewater rafting, kayaking, jet boating, horse riding, a round of golf and much much, more…